It’s winter time in the South…..and the AC has still been running!! Never fear, Old Man Winter is on his way here! During this transition, it is easy to forget that there are several things you need to do to get your house ready for freezing temps. Here are a few suggestions:
- Be sure water hoses are detached from the spigots
- If you have a shut off valve for your outside spigots, now is a good time to turn them off and open the hose bibs for winter
- Purchase and easily install hose bib covers at your local hardware store
- If you have any plumbing fixtures on outside walls, ex. kitchen sink, bathroom vanity, open cabinet doors to allow heat to help warm the pipes
- Most importantly, BE SURE YOU KNOW HOW TO TURN THE WATER OFF TO YOUR ENITRE HOUSE! In the event of a broken pipe, being able to quickly shut the water off to the entire house can prevent major water damage to your home…It is a good idea for all family members to know where this shut off is…HINT: they are usually near the water heater or outside water meter!
And if you still get in a bind, call us anytime!